Product accessibility & supply
How to deal with limited numbers/shortage of feeding pumps?
It there is a shortage of feeding pumps in the hospital first two steps could be to:
- Locate all pumps in your ward/hospital
- Based on local public health authorities guidelines and instructions, develop a contingency plan in place for which patients should have priority for enteral feeding pumps, in the event of shortages.
Subsequently, other possible alternative feeding strategies could be:
- Using pumps in a more efficient way
- Considering use of gravity feeding sets
- Considering Bolus feeding
In case your question is not answered here, please connect directly with your regular contact in your country.
References 400009_A Ways to administer tube feeding_26-03-2020
- P. Singer et al. ESPEN guideline on clinical nutrition in the intensive care unit. Clinical Nutrition 38 (2019) 48e79. © 2018 European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Patel JJ, Rosenthal MD, Heyland DK. Intermittent versus continuous feeding in critically ill adults. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2018;21:116e20.