What if my child has an allergic reaction to facemasks?
Your child might have to wear a facemask if going outdoors; these can sometimes cause the skin to become irritated, by the mask’s material or saliva, resulting in sensitive skin. If they start to have an allergic reaction, please consult your doctor or health visitor. They can help work out whether the symptoms are caused by an allergy or another condition. The following steps should also be taken to make sure it doesn’t get worse.
Use a gauze
It’s recommended to use a gauze on the breathable inner side of the mask, so that the mask does not stick directly to your child’s skin and can absorb moisture and saliva. The gauze should be changed regularly.
Remove and moisturize skin
Once you’ve arrived home, remove the mask and clean your child’s face, applying a hypoallergenic moisturizer.
Go out less
Reducing the number of times your child goes out and therefore the number of times they need to wear a facemask is a direct way to reduce not only the chance of a mask-related allergy but also Coronavirus infection.
If you have any further questions about your child’s nutrition, please contact a healthcare professional