Drive individual care through patient-centered conversation
Patient-centered care (also known as individualized care or personalized care) puts the focus on the patient’s perspective, their goals and on shared decision-making, such that patients have choice and control over the way their care is planned and delivered based on what matters to them1.
Shared decision making is a collaborative process between the clinician as the expert on treatment options, evidence, risks and benefits, and the patient as the expert about their preferences, personal circumstances, goals, values and beliefs1. Better conversations between clinicians and patients is a key part of the process and provides an easily accessible, low cost innovation to help achieve better health2. The patient and clinician collaborate to identify the patient’s personally relevant goals and actions, which may be life-related rather than condition-related2.
Watch Mary’s and John’s stories
Discover how asking open questions and having an engaging conversation with your patients can help you to make the right choices together and improve adherence and health outcomes through targeted nutritional management.
Do you ask your patient “How do you feel?”
Open-ended questions and focused active listening are essential communication skills needed for effective patient-centered care. Considering the patient’s perspective and showing empathy by discussing feelings, ideas, concerns and expectations can greatly enhance adherence and outcome to an intervention. Research has shown improved adherence and outcomes among patients who are engaged, empowered and self-managing4-7. Creating a better understanding of patient perspectives and motivation by asking the right questions and talking about goals can help deliver high quality, person-centered healthcare.
Download Nutricia’s fact sheet on our recommended approach to ask the right questions to your patients and create engaging conversations.
Optimizing nutritional management with tailored solutions
As a healthcare professional you put your patients at the heart of everything you do
At Nutricia we re-imagined our product portfolio to support you in delivering targeted nutritional management to better meet your patient’s needs and goals.
Discover our new adult ONS portfolio overview
Be first to gain access to new practical tools and educational services
Sign-up to receive updates on the Nutricia Individual Care program, be informed of unique online learning opportunities, early release tools and services on targeted nutritional management.
- NHS, UK, Comprehensive model of personalised care. July 11, 2020.
- NHS, UK, Better conversations are the key to better health. July 11, 2020.
- Levy AG, Scherer AM, Zikmund-Fisher BJ, et al. Prevalence of and factors associated with patient nondisclosure of medically relevant information to clinicians. JAMA Network Open. 2018;1:e185293-e185293.
- McCarley P. Patient empowerment and motivational interviewing: Engaging patients to self-manage their own care. Nephrology Nursing Journal. 2008;36:409-13.
- Andreasen J, Soendergaard LN, Holst M. Factors affecting patient and nursing staff adherence to an integrated physical activity and nutritional intervention targeting functional decline on an acute medical ward: a qualitative study. Patient Prefer Adherence 2018;12:1425-35.
- Payne C, McIlfatrick S, Larkin P, et al. A qualitative exploration of patient and healthcare professionals' views and experiences of palliative rehabilitation during advanced lung cancer treatment. Palliat Med. 2018;32:1624-32.
- Holst M, Søndergaard LN, Bendtsen MD, et al. Functional training and timed nutrition intervention in infectious medical patients. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016;70:1039-1045.