Introducing our First Ever Plant-based Oral Nutritional Supplement
At Nutricia we know that every patient’s journey is unique and with the growing number of patients embracing a plant-based diet and lifestyle1 we have developed a vegan oral nutrition supplement (ONS) that can meet their nutritional needs and lifestyle preferences.
Discover Fortimel PlantBased Energy
Specifically formulated to support patients with disease related malnutrition who follow a plant-based lifestyle, Fortimel PlantBased Energy is a nutritionally complete, ready to drink ONS, made with pea and soy protein. It is suitable for vegan diet and cow's milk protein free, lactose free, and gluten free.
Plant-Based Medical Nutrition: Meeting Patient Nutritional Needs and Lifestyle Preferences
Over the past 10 years, there has been a growing interest among the general population in adopting a plantbased diet1. This trend is also manifesting in patients with disease related malnutrition who require medical nutrition treatment (data on file 2021). The interest in plant-based medical nutrition is not only restricted to vegans, but also among patients who would like to increase their consumption of plant-based products for environmental, ethical, or cultural reasons.
Plant-based medical nutrition solutions can offer important choice to patients which can help address patient preferences and values, ultimately helping to improve adherence to nutritional treatment3-4.
Click here to watch Dr. Anne Holdoway discuss the importance of plant-based medical nutrition in meeting patient’s preferences and values. This educational event was held by Nutricia during the ESPEN 2022 Congress.
An innovation supported by evidence
In a single arm, 4-week intervention study among community-living patients at risk of malnutrition2-4, it was found that:
- Patients and healthcare professionals reported Fortimel PlantBased Energy was well tolerated
- Fortimel PlantBased Energy significantly increased daily energy and protein intake compared to baseline
- Patients were 94% compliant to their prescription of Fortimel PlantBased Energy over the 4 week intervention
- Malnutrition risk according to MUST score was significantly reduced in patients at high nutritional risk over the 4-weeks intervention period compared to baseline
Protein Quality in Plant-Based Medical Nutrition
We understand the importance in offering plant based medical nutrition products to the increasing number of patients who embrace a plant-based diet and lifestyle. However, we also understand the necessity of ensuring that protein blends in medical nutrition products are high quality. Click here to learn more about protein quality in medical nutrition, and the quality of the protein blend we’ve used in our new, plant based oral nutritional supplement, Fortimel PlantBased Energy.
New sensory experience
We believe that a great product experience is key to promote good adherence to medical nutrition treatment, and ultimately drive better patient outcomes. For this reason, Fortimel PlantBased Energy was carefully developed in two delicious flavours liked and selected by healthy adults5: a refreshing blend of passionfruit and mango flavours and our signature Mocha, a blend of coffee & chocolate flavours.
Fortimel PlantBased Energy is a food for special medical purposes for the dietary management of disease related malnutrition and must be used under medical supervision only.
- Euromonitor International, Plant-based Eating and Alternative Proteins, June 2021.
- Delsoglio M, et al. Abstract no. ESPEN22-LB-2139. Presented at ESPEN Congress, Vienna, 3rd-6th September 2022
- Griffen C, et al. Abstract no. ESPEN22-LB-2147. Presented at ESPEN Congress, Vienna, 3rd-6th September 2022.
- Hubbard GP, et al. Clin Nutr. 2012;31:293-312.
- Product evaluation with N=83 healthy adults aged above 40 years (2021, Spain).